Your browser (Internet Explorer 7 or lower) is out of date. It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how to update your browser.


Navigate / search

Time for a Change

For the last few years following my PRRT in Houston I’ve been getting my maintenance labs, imaging and meds at Kaiser. That was fine so long as my tumors were stable and nothing new was cropping up. Unfortunately my tumors have started to grow incrementally and a couple new tumors have developed in my liver. I’ve also had more nagging discomfort along my diaphragm on the right side where I have a cluster of mets. Kaiser didn’t have any new or different tools in their bag so it was time to move on.

Since Dr. Wolin, my go-to NETs expert at Cedars, has moved his practice to Kentucky I wanted to find a new team on the west coast. What’s exciting is that in the last few years the NETs team at Stanford has, in my opinion, really grown and is on the cutting edge of advancements in neuroendocrine tumor studies and therapies. After attending a symposium at Stanford earlier this year and having an introductory appointment in April, Kathy and I decided we’d transfer my full-time care to Dr. Pamela Kunz at Stanford.

Dr. Kunz discussed a few different courses of treatment available to me, including:

  • Afinitor – a daily tablet – this mTOR inhibitor interferes with the growth of cancer cells and slows their spread in the body.
  • Pazopanib – a daily tablet – this angiogenesis inhibitor, in a Phase II clinical trial, is designed to slow the growth of new blood vessels to the tumors.
  • Fosbretabulin – a weekly IV therapy – this vascular disrupting agent is also in a Phase II clinical trial, but we quickly ruled out this therapy as the weekly time demands would be too taxing on my schedule.
  • Immunotherapy trial – this trial is not yet open but should be soon and is something I’m definitely interested in pursuing if and when I can.

After much discussion and advice from Dr. Kunz, we decided that the best course of treatment would be for me to enroll in the Pazopanib trial. I’ve completed the enrollment paperwork, had my prescreening labs, echocardiogram, MRIs, CT and will next week have my official trial prescreening visit with Dr. Kunz. If all goes well and I’m approved for the study I’ll be starting the new meds after a return visit on September 4. I should point out that this is a randomized clinical trial with the possibility of crossover. What that means is that there is a 50% chance that I’ll be given a placebo. I will be closely monitored every month, and have the full gamut of labs, scans, etc. after three months. At that time the trial team will evaluate my progress and a few different things could happen: if my condition is stable or improving I could continue on the drug; if my condition is worsening (tumor growth or spread) they could break the seal to determine if I’ve been on the drug or a placebo. If I’ve been on the placebo I could then crossover to the drug and the process restarts.

If however I’ve been on the drug and things are worsening then I can move off of the trial drug and begin one of the other treatment options like the Afinitor or perhaps enroll in the immunotherapy trial. The good news is that there are options and regardless of the outcome of any one course of treatment there will be others for me to try. If the Pazopanib does end up working for me then I will be allowed to continue taking that. I should also mention that throughout all of this I will continue with my monthly maintenance dose of Sandostatin LAR at 40mg (2-20mg injections).

I will keep you posted here on my progress during the trial. Here’s to options!